Sunday, September 11, 2011

Welcome: z3ta+ OSC Contest Entry, Aug 2011.


Trance and z3ta+ goes hand-in-hand and it's always been considered as the most suitable synth for that genre.  But, that's only partly true, it's capable of creating a wide variety of sounds that can fit into other genres. There are loads of presets available in KVR and patcharena. Even with my limited knowledge on sound design, I didn't find it very difficult to program either. Built-in effects in z3ta+ are good if not great.

I started off with auditioning the presets first and believe me there are some fantastic presets available in the factory soundbank. To my surprise, it failed to inspire me. May be "inspire" is the wrong word but I struggled to come up even with an idea until the end of the month. I almost gave up. I gave it a last try just before a day of the deadline and finally came up with the following track. It's called "Welcome z3ta+". It's my way of saying "Okay, we didn't start off well, it wasn't love at first sight but now I welcome you into my world" :-).



Technical Details:
DAW: Sonar X1c 
Synth: 10 instances of z3ta+
FX: AriesVerb, PanCake, ADT and LoudMax
Reviews and feedback (Copied from the KVR Audio Forum):
Crackbaby: **I love this kind of chill out, it let's you fade away. My dog looked at me, wondering where i was. I smiled back at him and kept smiling..
IrionDaRonin: Great pads and arps, very well composition and nice mix, electronically relaxing. I think this is one of the most relaxing tracks of this month, is a very well composed track with a great mix.
    ·Pros - The nice drumloop groove, the chord changes and the composition structure. ·Cons - Try to do more drastical changes next time with the bassline and the melody, risk yourself a bit more, maybe you will like it. Anyway, i know you didn't had more time.
SJMmusic: Although it is a rather simple track, it was very nice to listen to, it especially has a nice groove, I think :-D
bzur: nice and calming chill-out. Thumbs up!
3ee: Good: Atmosphere and sounds.
Bad: HiHats mixed a bit too loud are getting a bit too distracting. Percussion in general sounds a bit flat. Outro.
evo2slo: That bass has a killer groove to it. Real nice percussive movement. Like the soft bed of pads and the lead sounds and melodies are great. Very enjoyable track!
Doc Jon: Another instant fave, loved the panning sequences and slightly unconventional melody, really chilled after listening to this. Only negative point - the white noise percussion seemed too loud to me, but overall really excellent.
Dan_E10: I had a hard time picking between this and Genesis. There's not really anything I can criticize here. 
GMoneh: Fantastic chillout tune. Great job. 
bjporter: Pros * Nice down tempoish sounds… Some really cool sounds like the one at 2:44, the twirly whirly high FX. Nice pluck at 3:00. Would have like to hear a tad more reverb on some sounds. This song really catches on to me after a while especially after 2:45.
Cons * Really thought there was something uber epic here… just maybe needed some more layering. Something didn't catch on to me as powerfully as your past songs did.
Voting is over and the track ended up at #6 out of 18 tracks. My first time within top 10 :-).

No comments:

Post a Comment